Disability Information, Advocacy & Support
This service is designed to support, educate and advocate on behalf of whānau/individuals with disabilities, or tangata whaikaha. We provide encouragement and support to empower tangata whaikaha and their whānau to gain control over their lives. The service is free and open to all.
How can we support?
- By providing advocacy
- By providing āwhina & tautoko
- By providing helpful information
- By providing assessments
What could that look like?
- Facilitating access to disability support services, government services and community providers
- Informing individuals and their whānau about the availability of MOH and non-MOH funded support services
- Providing educational information to caregivers, providers and the general public
- Advocacy on behalf of Māori and non-Māori with disability providers, government agencies, community providers, GP’s and specialists
- Supporting tangata whaikaha at their needs assessment and service co-ordination at WINZ, GP & specialist appointments
Accessibility Concession Assessments
Huria Trust is an approved agency for the BOPRC’s accessibility concession scheme. The Accessibility Concession is available to anyone living in the Bay of Plenty region who has an impairment which means they are permanently unable to drive. The impairment can be physical, intellectual, psychological, sensory or neurological.
Applicants are assessed by approved assessment agencies. All agencies charge a fee for this service. Huria Trust’s fee is $20.00 (please note we do not have eftpos available). The concession provides you with free travel on all contracted Bay of Plenty Regional Council bus services across the region.
The concession will need to be loaded on a registered Bee Card (first card free, replacements $5). This means that when you tag on and off the bus you receive a 100% discount on the fare.
To book in for an assessment please call our office on (07) 5787838 ext. 704 or contact our kaiāwhina via email at email@example.com.
Total Mobility Scheme Assessments
Huria Trust is also an approved assessment agency for the Total Mobility Scheme. A one-off fee of $20.00 is required to be paid on the day of assessment (no eftpos available).
The Total Mobility scheme helps people with serious mobility constraints access subsidised door-to-door transport through approved providers based in Tauranga, Rotorua and Whakatāne.
Eligible scheme members use their Total Mobility card to receive a 75% discount on door-to-door travel up to a maximum of $37.50 per trip (75% discount on $50 full fare).
Please contact our kaiāwhina to book in for an assessment.
We Value Your Feedback
Please complete the following form to help us improve